With the embroidery safely cut out and all in one piece, it's time to add it to the background.
I'd already got that set up and key reference points marked on the fabric to ensure I got the apple tree design on straight. I laid the embroidery on the fabric, lining it up with the reference marks, and pinned over - not through - some of the stems to hold it in place:
I then started stitching it down, using single strands of the same shades I used for the embroidery itself.
The outer edge of the stems:
The rest of the stems:
And finally the leaves:
Finished! Or finished the embroidery, anyway - the last thing to do is to stretch it onto a board and put it into the fire screen itself.