Still slow progress on the roses, though I am getting there. In the mean time, here's a closer look at stitching one individual rose.
The shading is already done, of course, so here I'm just filling in the rest with the off-white.
This is one of the larger roses, so there's a bit more stitching involved to fill it all in but the principle is the same for both. Firstly, I did all the rose petal 'lips', the bits that fold over at the top:
Before starting on the rest of the petals, I make life a bit easier for myself by putting in stitches to show where each petal starts and finishes:
I then went right round the rose adding a layer of long and short stitches:
And then round a second time, filling in the rest:
One more rose finished! Still quite a few to go though...