Sunday 9 August 2009

Durham Cathedral visit


I took a trip over to Durham yesterday, and had a good look round the Cathedral. It's just a few miles from where I live so I've been there a lot over the years, but it's always worth a visit. I particularly wanted to see their ecclestiastical embroidery; they don't have much on display, but what they do have out is stunning. (I would show you, but I wasn't allowed to take photos. They don't allow any photography inside the Cathedral at all, in stark contrast to York Minster, where you can snap away to your heart's content.)

Anyway, despite the lack of pics, I had a great time, after being treated to a personal guided tour by the senior steward, Marion. She's amazingly knowledgeable, and gave me far more information than I can remember.

Most of the embroidery is made by the Cathedral Broderers, a dedicated band of talented but largely unsung ladies. There are also a couple of batik hangings by Thetis Blacker; not a technique I know much about, but it's certainly effective.

5 comments:

  1. Welcome to blog world Ruth .. enjoy the ride ... I will be looking forward to seeing some of your work.
    Sandy

    ReplyDelete
  2. hi ruth, just wondered where you were from, as I'm a seaham gal, born and bred! Thanks or comments on my blog, i'm just having a nose at yours now

    ReplyDelete
  3. I'm from just up the road, in Sunderland. The North East is definitely the place to be!

    ReplyDelete
  4. hello Ruth - hope you are still keeping this up.... did you manage to see st Cuthberts Stole.. am guessing not if there was not much on display....

    ReplyDelete
  5. Hi Susan - I didn't go and see the stole and other of the surviving St Cuthbert embroideries on this trip, though I have seen them before; they're on display in the Treasury. If you ever get the chance, visit the Cathedral Treasury, as there are some amazing historic items in there. I'd like to write a post about the St Cuthbert embroideries some time, but ideally I'd need pictures. I'll have to see what I can do...

    ReplyDelete