Tuesday 1 March 2011

The first three ferns

There are nine ferns on this panel, but I'm going to add them in groups of three, partly as that's about as much fern as I can stand in one go, and partly because it works out quite nicely that way.

I wasn't entirely happy with the curve on at least of the ferns for the first panel, so I need to take particular care over them.  I've stitched fewer leaves for most of them this time, which I think will help: I'm not trying to fit as much in.

Here's the first fern, very roughly cut out and approximately placed on the background, to judge the spacing:

Ruth O'Leary Textile Art: rough cut-outs of embroidered ferns on St Cuthbert's Banner

To make sure the size is correct, I added the top and bottom leaves first:

Ruth O'Leary Textile Art:  top and bottom leaves of embroidered ferns on St Cuthbert's Banner

I then added the leaves in-between, taking care to place them so that the fern curved nicely:

Ruth O'Leary Textile Art: first embroidered fern on St Cuthbert's Banner

Here it is in context, next to the cowslip:

Ruth O'Leary Textile Art: embroidered fern and cowslip on St Cuthbert's Banner

Next, the second fern:

Ruth O'Leary Textile Art: second embroidered fern on St Cuthbert's Banner

And the third:

Ruth O'Leary Textile Art: third embroidered fern on St Cuthbert's Banner

And everything I've done on the panel so far:

Ruth O'Leary Textile Art: embroidered cowslip and all three ferns on St Cuthbert's Banner

No comments:

Post a Comment