Wednesday, 17 August 2011

The final panel - making the transfers

At last, the Banner's final panel, the top one.  This is similar to the bottom panel, so no foxgloves and fewer ferns, but more pearlworts and wood avens.

For reasons now lost in the mists of time, when making the flower transfers, I only did the ones for the first three panels, not the final one.  Why I didn't go back and do them I can't remember, but the upshot is, I need to do them now.

So, a little earlier in the process than normal, I cut out the working design for the panel and taped it to my drawing board:

To make the transfers, I need to trace the design with a special transfer pencil, that will iron onto fabric.  However, a transfer is placed face down on the fabric to be ironed on, and so the resulting design on the fabric is a mirror image of the design on the paper.  I want it to be the same way round, of course, so I need to trace everything twice.

With an ordinary pencil, I first traced the flowers, in batches, with enough each time to make up a sheet to be embroidered:

Here's one of two complete sheets of wood avens:

I then turned this over, and on a fresh piece of tracing paper, traced it again, this time with the transfer pencil itself:

I've got a pile of tracings made, so now I just need to retrace them to make the transfers to be used:

Things are very busy at work at the moment, so I don't think I'm going to have much time for sewing for the next week or two, sadly.  I'll fit in some stitching where I can, though, so hopefully I won't go completely quiet!

1 comment:

  1. I hope you do find time to stitch - it's good for distracting oneself from work!