Wednesday, 16 April 2014

Druid banner - putting it together (part 2)

Last time, I'd got as far as adding the tabs for the carrying pole along the top.  The pole itself will be in two parts, in a 'T' shape, and so will also pass up the centre of the back.  To stop it blowing about and becoming difficult to carry, I also added two loops, made in the same way as the top tabs, to the back:

As with the tabs along the top, I made sure that these were stitched to the canvas, not just the top fabric. The pole will thread through them, and should make carrying the banner easier.

Next, I added a fringe along the bottom, and a woven tape with my name on at the top - inside the banner, so it won't be seen when it's finished, but I'll know it's there!

The very last thing to do is to add the top fabric - the part with the embroidery on.  Firstly, I stitched it in place along the bottom edge, to anchor it:

I forgot to take any photos, but next I stitched the front fabric to the canvas, to ensure that the entire banner acts as one single item.  This was easier to do than for the back as I could place the stitches where the appliqué is, so there was less chance of it being seen on the surface.

The front panel pinned in place:

I then ladder stitched it all the way round - and finished!

I'll post a photo of the finished piece tomorrow...


  1. I just love witnessing your process. Your work is beautiful and inspiring. Thank you for sharing!

  2. Thanks Leanne, that's really kind. I hope you find it useful!