Wednesday 19 May 2010

Spirograph III wallhanging

After a break and a couple of cushions, I've now started the second in the series of three Spirograph wallhangings.

To confuse things slightly, I'm doing number three next, instead of number two; the largest spiral in the design for the second one is actually too wide to get it all visible on my embroidery frame, so I'm going to have to do a bit of redesigning.  As I haven’t done that yet, I'm going to start work on Spirograph III first.

Just to remind you, here's the design:


This will be in the same fabrics and colours as the first one (they all will), so that's silk matka in a sand colour, lined with a fine linen for strength, then no. 8 Japanese gold passing thread to work the designs.

The spirals in the first of the hangings, you may recall, were not actually one continuous line, even though they looked as though they were.  This made it easier to stitch, as it could be done in discreet sections.  These spirals, however, really are one continuous line, so it's a bit trickier to do a bit at a time.  I've decided just to do a section at a time, and hope for the best!

Here's the first section of the first (and smallest) spiral, tacked through from the back to transfer it to the front of the fabric:


And here it is overstitched with the gold thread:


As before, I'm using two strands of the gold, couched with Gutermann Sulky thread in gold, to match the passing thread as closely as possible.

Even with just a few loops round I still managed to go wrong somewhere and had to unpick what I'd done and start again, so I've got a nasty feeling that the next section is just going to complicate things even further.  I just hope I get the hang of it!

No comments:

Post a Comment