Tuesday 24 August 2010

Spirograph II - second spiral issues

I've done the second spiral, of three, on the Spirograph II panel, and here it is:


I'm not altogether happy with this - it's not quite circular and it should be.  I don't know if the design marked on the back distorted when I stretched (or over-stretched) it onto the frame, or if when I went over some of the fainter transfer lines with a pencil I drew them in wrongly, or if I just went wrong when stitching it.  Or a combination, I suppose.  Whatever happened, it just doesn't look quite right to me.

Here it is with the first spiral:


The trouble with doing designs that are so precise rather than something more free-form is that they have far less margin for error: get it wrong, and it shows, unfortunately.

Still, I haven't given up hope - if it is a problem with the tension, then with a bit of luck it should right itself to a large extent when I take it off the frame, and I should be able to correct the problem at least to an extent at the damp stretching stage.  The big spiral still needs to be stitched before I get that far, though.

No comments:

Post a Comment